Tuesday 9 January 2018

How to Deal with Phobia

A phobia is an excessive and irrational fear reaction. If you have a phobia, you may experience a deep sense of dread or panic when you encounter the source of your fear. The fear can be of a certain place, situation, or object. Unlike general anxiety disorders, a phobia is usually connected to something specific.

The impact of a phobia can range from annoying to severely disabling. People with phobias often realize their fear is irrational, but they’re unable to do anything about it. Such fears can interfere with work and personal relationships.

Let’s take an example to understand this. Several years ago, I used to suffer from a phobia of insomnia. This phobia used to be so strong that when I used to put my head on the pillow, my whole chest used to pound in anxiety that come what may I will not be able to sleep tonight. This fear used to keep me awake for almost all night and the next morning used to be a depressed day due to lack of sleep and most importantly, due to lack of controlling the phobia.

I rarely get phobia-panic-anxiety attacks now. But even when I do, I manage it very easily. I used to always think why I get these kind of attacks when everyone around me used to sleep peacefully. Now, I understand that probably in future when I write articles or do webinars these experiences will help me to tell others how to cope and come out of this man-made stress.

So first thing about phobia one needs to know that it is not a big problem and is easily solvable. And coming out of phobia needs a workable solution at several levels.

The easiest and fastest route is to divert the mind. When the phobia attack starts, just shift focus of the mind. Shift it to any selfless thought. Or force think something which is more positive in nature. Thinking for others’ welfare is a very strong positive thought. Particularly for others who are not in your immediate family/circle.

The second aspect is to build self confidence. There are many techniques to do this. Yoga postures (asanas) help a lot. A long walk helps. Stand in front of the mirror and grit yourself in determination, “I CAN, I WILL, I MUST”.

Third, induce positive energy … try to sit and meditate for example. Even if focused meditation does not happen, it is fine. Just sit in a corner, and keep telling yourself, I am Strong, I am powerful, I am fearless, I have abundant energy. I will use my life to help others…

Fourth, try to do a positive karma once in a week or atleast a month. Do anything, do some charity, go to an orphanage. If you cannot do any activity, then atleast make a phone call. A phone call where you have no objective for yourself. Call someone in distress, or someone who is a far distant relative or some elderly person…

Fifth, try to induce positivity. Study and observe your daily routine. What kind of TV stuff you watch? How much time you spend in social media? What kind of activity you do on social media? Spreading negativity, gossip, unverified facts and fear, hatred are worst possible things to do on social media....

No comments:

Post a Comment